Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Stretch

The answer to the telephone pole question is: usually cedar- mind you that's off of yahoo answers and may not be accurate for our neck of the woods...

The first time I remember being asked emulate a tree I was 7. It was an introduction to dance class and I was the only one with a pink leotard. Made my Buddha belly that much more obvious. The other little girls wore black over pink. How posh of them right? I had begged to go to this thing. It was a lot of money. I couldn't even formulate what was wrong when I refused to go back getting grounded as a consequence. The only thing that I truly enjoyed during that miserable class was when we pretended to be an elephant and then a tree, reaching up up up, sending roots waaaaaaay down low from the bottom of our feet.

In Hatha yoga the tree pose is associated with the root chakra said to connect to survival, primal urges, safety and security issues. Some people say a person has lost their connection with earth's energy if he or she cannot hold tree pose. Guess my earth energy has always been strong.

I did some yoga yesterday- including tree pose- to ground myself.
First snow, only a few yellow stragglers left on the nearly bare branches. I used to get paralysed with fear of falling around this time of year. Icy slippery conditions still get my heart rate up. aim for limber legs and centered weight my physiotherapist told me once.

No comments:

Post a Comment