Tuesday, November 2, 2010

rally inspiration

I went to a rally organised by a very thoughtful and talented person, Jamie Simpson to raise awareness about and call for the protection of our Nova Scotian forest. It was inspiring and devestating. Inspiring to hear from such carefully chosen and diverse speakers that offered a real range of voices and facets on the issue. Devestating because the situation is grim, though Jamie really underlined the fact that it's not too late to act to place restrictions on clearcuts and change legislation so that tax payers money isn't subsidising that particular practice.
Where am I going with this? I guess one thing that came up for me during the rally was that no one talked about the urban forest. I live in the city. a lot of people do. infact the stats tend to show that urban dweller numbers are on the rise right? I want to be a part of the paradigm shift that will take place around thinking of the city as a place to live in , a cool shaddy, artfull place to livein. Trees are one of the only nature grounding things that are available to us city dwellers. Ours are mature and majestic, and vulnerable and I want to create a space to celebrate and contemplate what is nature in our city. I'd like to use this blog as a place to gather and tell stories about trees in HRM, mine and hopefully yours too.

No comments:

Post a Comment