Tuesday, November 9, 2010

fruit trees and education

Wendell Berry. Manifesto: The Mad Farmer's Liberation Front. Dates back to 73 and I'm learning it by heart. Lovely turn of phrase that eh? By Heart? So that you can have it there with you at all times.
Been a while since I've used my brain that way. First time I can remember was in school in France. Can't remember what poem it was though. Maybe something by Victor Hugo? I do remember the venerable pear tree in the court yard where we went to play for la récré- as in recreation- and how the asphalt came right up to it's roots. How did it drink I wondered. We had pears in the fall to snack on or throw- though doing the latter would result in classic punishment: ear pulling and writing lines on the chalkboard. I suppose that`s another way to memorise something. I never threw pears. Too tasty to waste.
Around here there are a few good apple trees along the steep hill up to Needham park.

No comments:

Post a Comment